Thursday 27 October 2011 at 04:49 |  
I am quite taken by farming simulation games lately and I have thought of writing bout them for a bit. I have already written about Zynga's Facebook title, FarmVille. Unfortunately, I have lost interest in the game, or at the very least, postponed playing until such time as I would again, fancy playing a casual browser game.

As for my recent affliction, Harvest Moon has been a long standing franchise from Japan. It was created by Yasuhiro Wada way back in 1996, and produced by Victor Interactive Software, which was Marvelous Interactive acquired back in 2003. Now, unlike FarmVille, Harvest Moon is a full RPG/farming simulation/life simulation game. It was first published for the SNES but has since been adapted to various Nintendo console systems from the hand-held Game Boy to the GameCube, as well as Sony's PlayStation system. Currently there are six Harvest Moon titles for the Wii console, of which one is for the Virtual Console, another is a WiiWare, while still another is a spin-off under the Rune Factory title. Some track list, huh?

Anyway, I have been an avid RPG fan and player since I was first exposed to Final Fantasy VII back in 1997. So far, there are not much titles for the Wii when it comes to RPGs so when I saw that there is a Harvest Moon title for my console, I tried to look it up.

Harvest Moon: Animal Parade is the first game I've ever played in the series. I have been playing it for two days now, I think, and I find it entertaining and at times a bit challenging. The game basically starts with you creating your game avatar, then the customary tutorial. The basic plot concerns the deterioration of the Harvest Tree. You have to revive the five Harvest Sprites to save the whole region from doom. Unlike other games, you do not have to start on the save-the-region quest right away. You can choose to live out your life just playing farmer and producer without actively pursuing the storyline. Though there will eventually be some prodding towards the completion of the game plot, you can go and finish them at your own pace.

As stated before, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade is primarily a farming/life simulation game. It has the same basic concepts as FarmVille, though the intricacies of their gameplays vary greatly. What I like about Harvest Moon is that I do not have to rely on the fickle gift giving of my social network to advance. Also, playing console games suit me better since I can lounge and camp on my couch and play for hours whereas with games like FarmVille, I have to find something else to do and come back again to check up on your crops. Then again, the two games are geared towards two different kinds of player base, so basically, it just boils down to what kind of player you are.
Posted by zahirah Labels:
Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger templates